Introduction

The Building: Introduction

The Sheldon Museum of Art stands at the center of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln campus, underlying its pivotal role as a source for education and culture.

The Sheldon Museum of Art is a memorial to Mary Frances Sheldon (1892-1950), who bequeathed her estate to the university for the explicit purpose of constructing an art museum on campus. Her brother, Adams Bromley Sheldon (1887-1957), increased his sister's gift with 40 percent of his own estate.

The museum's landmark building designed by Philip Johnson was formally dedicated on May 16, 1963.